Since Thanksgiving there’s been an onslaught of sweets in my life and just general overall food decadence. I’ve been bombarded with sweet treats at work, tempted by holiday goodies at the grocery store and I find myself craving heartier, heavier meals. It’s winter and I want all the yummy foods that come with the season. Ginger is one of my favorite year-round flavors, especially in my morning smoothie, but ginger cookies are another story. I love them! These cookies are gluten and dairy free so you can indulge without the guilt!
These cookies have a salty spice and a nuttiness that makes them pretty addictive. They’re sweetened with maple syrup and molasses and flavored with all the yummy spices of the holiday season. They go great with your morning coffee or as a sweet treat in the afternoon. Enjoy!
Ginger Cookies, recipe inspired by this one
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 (very!) heaping teaspoon each of the following:
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg
- Mix together almond flour, brown rice flour, baking soda, spices and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together the molasses, vanilla and maple syrup. Then add your coconut oil. Using the back of a spoon, flatten the coconut oil into the molasses mixture, trying your best to get rid of all the lumps. Do not melt the coconut oil.
- Add one egg into the molasses mixture and mix to fully incorporate the egg.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and using a spoon or rubber spatula, blend well until a ball starts to form. The dough will be sticky and look wet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into balls, then use the back of a fork to make a criss-cross on the tops of the cookies. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes and let cool before enjoying.
Makes 26 small cookies. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze.