Really ripe bananas are so sweet, they’re almost impossible to eat on their own at that point. They are however, fantastic in smoothies and cookies, and overly ripe bananas are essential in this recipe for raw banana bread. Your bananas should be mostly brown and very soft. For this recipe, ripe bananas and dates are the only sweetener added, and those two natural ingredients are all the sweetness this “bread” needs!
It would be easy to mistake this raw banana bread for traditional banana bread, but this bread has no eggs, flour or oil. It is made mostly with nuts and seeds. It’s extremely dense and nutritious, but after serving these to a variety of friends, I can confidently say you won’t find someone who doesn’t like this bread.
The best part is, the recipe makes a lot of bites and they last for weeks in the freezer! Unless you eat them quickly, or share them with friends. Enjoy! PS – these are fantastic dipped in a little chocolate, too!
Raw Banana Bread inspired by Oh Lady Cakes
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 cup raw walnuts (divided)
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed
- 1/4 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (pink himalayan or celtic are best)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Few shakes ground nutmeg
- 2 very ripe bananas (verrryyy ripe!)
- 5 dates, pitted
- Place almonds, 3/4 cup of the walnuts, flaxseed, hazelnuts, spices and salt into a food processor and blend until a fine meal develops. Careful not to let it turn into a butter.
- Add the bananas and dates and blend in the food processor until a dough forms.
- Line a baking dish (glass or metal) with parchment paper and press the dough into the pan. Sprinkle remaining chopped raw walnuts on top.
- Cover with foil or plastic and freeze for several hours before removing and slicing into bite-sized pieces. Mine actually take several bites to consume, FYI!
- Store banana bread in the freezer for best keep. Lasts several weeks.