Morning is a sacred time, in my opinion. Nothing good or bad has happened, and the day has yet to take shape. One of the easiest and best ways to start the day on the right foot is by having a satisfying breakfast. Yes, balanced and healthy is important, but if it is not satisfying, then I really don’t care.
Quinoa (keen-wa for those who don’t know!) is delicious and packed with protein and fiber. It has a mild, nutty taste and can be savory or sweet. It is a great breakfast option, trust me!
For this recipe, we are using cinnamon sticks to provide a cinnamon essence. It will not be an overpowering cinnamon flavor so you can also add other toppings and flavors, like nuts, berries and honey or maple syrup.
Quinoa cooks quickly and lasts for days in the refrigerator, so once you have some made, it is an easy breakfast to whip up, even on the go.
I also love how absolutely fluffy quinoa gets. Remove the cinnamon sticks, and remember to dry them out and save them for future use!
Remember the homemade almond milk we made this week? Yeah, it is pretty much the best topping for this breakfast. You can also add yogurt or any type of milk, preferably plant-based.
I topped mine with organic blueberries and slivered almonds. Enjoy!
Cinnamon-Scented Breakfast Quinoa, from Gourmet:
- 1 cup quinoa, washed thoroughly
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: nuts, fresh or dried berries, honey, agave, maple syrup, homemade almond milk, nut butter, shredded coconut… the options are endless!
- Add quinoa, water, cinnamon sticks and salt to a heavy-medium saucepan. Cover and turn stovetop to high. Once the water comes to a boil, turn heat to low. Continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes until quinoa has absorbed all water.
- Remove from heat, but keep covered for another few minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff quinoa with fork. Remove cinnamon sticks, rinse off, dry and save for future use.
- Layer quinoa on the bottom of a bowl, then any toppings and finally — the almond milk!
Note: Store quinoa in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Reheat quinoa in a microwave-safe container for breakfast again the next morning!