By now you know two things about me based on this blog: 1) I have a fairly large sweet tooth and 2) I am overall a healthful eater. The best is when 1) and 2) come together for healthful desserts, like those vegan brownies we made and that yummy avocado chocolate mousse. Both are delicious!
This dessert uses whole ingredients like fresh strawberries (Hello, summer!) and raw cashews.
The “cream” is very easy to make because a blender or food processor does pretty much everything.
A blend of honey and coconut oil bring everything together, and add a subtle sweetness.
I suggest making the cream first, then refrigerating it so it to maintain a nice texture.
The base of the “cupcake” is so simple it’s almost outrageous! Three egg whites, coconut, and sugar. I used organic coconut palm sugar because it has a very low glycemic index.
Whisk the eggs together first before adding the coconut and sugar.
The coconut mixture bakes for 7-10 minutes, until the edges are brown like this.
The coconut cups need to cool for at least an hour before you can add the strawberry cream. Use a Ziploc bag to make the cupcakes fancy and beautiful.
Top these babies with chocolate chips, caramelized nuts, or fresh fruit, or serve them without anything. Yummy any way!
They are light, but decadent and extremely tasty. Enjoy!!
Recipe for cupcake tartlets, inspired by Martha Stewart:
- 3 egg whites, lightly whipped
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut (I used reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Lightly whisk three egg whites together.
- Add unsweetened coconut and sugar.
- Mix together, using hands to press together.
- Grease a muffin tin and then add coconut mixture into each tin. Spoon the coconut mixture into each tin to try and make them even. Then press down, forming high sides and thumbing down the center.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool in tins for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. One hour. Set aside.
Recipe for strawberry cream, inspired by WikiHow (yes, really!):
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, washed and tops removed
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- Add all ingredients, in order listed to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Chill for one to two hours.
- Place in Ziploc bag to pipe into coconut tartlets.
- Refrigerate if not serving immediately.