I really wish breakfast could last for hours each morning. The time before the day really starts is my favorite. The sun is just coming up, everything is quiet, the air is fresh, and my mind is clear. Mornings are the best. I am an early bird, not a night owl.
I won’t deny that part of my morning-loving reasoning has to do with my love for breakfast. But, I am not opposed to throwing vegetables into the breakfast mix. Zucchini muffins, anyone? Everyone? I thought so.
These muffins are made with almond meal flour, so they are gluten-free and filled with servings of fruit and vegetables.
Eggs and honey are beaten until frothy and light. That will make your muffins light and delicious.
Your sweetness comes from the honey, a ripe banana, and some pure vanilla extract.
Once everything is combined, add Chia seeds for added health. I love chia seeds in my smoothies, too! You can add them to just about anything. Great Omega-3 source!
This recipe makes for 12 muffins. They store well, too but it is hard to just have one!
Recipe, from Against All Grain:
- 1-1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini (I used about 1 and 1/2 smallish zucchinis)
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds, *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and use fork to remove clumps from almond flour.
- Place the eggs and honey in a bowl, use stand mixer or hand mixer to combine until frothy. Mash banana with hand, then add into wet ingredient bowl. Blend again until very frothy.
- Use wooden spoon to gently add zucchini.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients with the mixer running, until all of the flour mixture has been incorporated.
- Mix in Chia seeds, if using, just enough to incorporate.
- Use a 1/3 cup to ladle batter into muffin tins. Should fill 12 exactly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving!