We just made really delicious muffins to make our Monday better, and before that we made buttery, indulgent cookies. It’s time for leafy green kale. Fresh, healthy kale. Don’t you think? Life is about balance.
But really, this cranberry-pine nut kale salad is so tasty you won’t be missing those cookies. You’ll be helping yourself to seconds of this salad.
Red onions give the salad a nice kick.
The dressing is so simple, yet so delicious. One juicy lemon plus olive oil and a bit of sea salt and you’re done.
Sweet, salty, crunchy and healthy. This kale salad is a keeper!
RECIPE, inspired by Door to Door Organics:
- 1 bunch kale, washed well; stems removed.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/4-1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Wash kale and tear leafy green part away from hard center. Rip into bit sized pieces and make sure greens are dry. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in small pan over medium heat. Careful not to burn the nuts; they toast quickly!
- In a small bowl, squeeze the juice of one lemon, removing seeds. Add olive oil and sea salt. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- Add the toasted pine nuts, dried cranberries and red onion to kale leaves.
- Dress salad and serve!
*This salad would also be delicious with a bit of parmesan cheese! Store in an airtight container up to three days. Kale is a strong green and won’t wilt.