Muffins make my morning. It’s that simple. Muffins are breakfast cupcakes, if you ask me. And pair your muffin(s) with coffee, tea, or a smoothie and your morning is instantly better! Especially on a Monday. Who likes Mondays? Muffin Monday? Yes.
Would you believe me if I told you these muffins have no (added) sugar? This muffin is sweetened with Greek yogurt, unsweetened applesauce and a medley of yummy spices.
To make them gluten-free, I used a combination of almond flour and rice flour. Look at all those spices! Cinnamon + nutmeg + ground cloves = Deliciousness.
Eggs, Greek Yogurt and applesauce are your “wet” ingredients.
When they’re all combined, the mixture sort of looks like a mustard dipping sauce, and that’s the consistency it should be!
You want to gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry, without over-mixing. The dough will be light and airy.
Agave or honey is topped on the muffins pre-baking. It’s the perfect subtle sweetness to get your morning (or afternoon, or evening!) going.
These bake quickly and brown beautifully. See those light, airy holes? These muffins are light and delicious. Perfect on their own, or with a little butter or jam. Make these today for a happy Monday tomorrow!
Recipe, adapted from Lifestyle 365
- 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup almond, 1 cup brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (heaping, and more for topping)
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Agave or honey plus cinnamon for topping
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees. Grease muffin tin and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients and sift together for best result.
- Beat eggs lightly, then add yogurt, applesauce and vanilla. Blend until fully combined.
- Gently fold your wet ingredients into the dry being careful not to overmix.
- Scoop your muffin batter into the muffin pan.
- Squirt or spoon a bit of agave or honey over each muffin, then sprinkle with cinnamon and *sugar or sugar substitute (*optional).
- Bake muffins for 15-18 minutes.
- Let cool in muffin tin before serving.
*Store muffins in an airtight container. Freeze if not eaten within four days for best taste.