Don’t judge a book by its cover and don’t judge a smoothie by its color. I bring some variation of a green machine smoothie into work most days and most days I get stares of disgust, or at least looks of extreme question. People wonder why? Why would I drink something that looks that way? Well, their minds change once they have a sip. I get a lot of requests for the recipe to my healthy green smoothie, but the truth is I try and make each one a bit different. However, this recipe is tried and true.
Add all your ingredients into the blender. I recently splurged on a VitaMix blender and am in LOVE.
This combo of sweet spinach, mangoes and strawberries has a tropical taste.
I happen to like this green color, thank you!
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups liquid. I use a blend of unsweetened coconut milk and coconut water
- Two handfuls organic spinach, washed and dried (you could also use kale, or a combo of the two)
- 1 frozen banana, in chunks (if your bananas are not frozen, use a whole banana plus some ice and add a bit more liquid)
- 1 cup frozen fruit (I used strawberries and mangoes here)
- 1 teaspoon each of chia seeds and ground flaxseed
- Place ingredients into blender in order listed and blend.
- If using a VitaMix, start on low speed and increase to 7 for 30 seconds and up to a minute.
Note: You may need more liquid depending on the blender you’re using. For sweetness, add honey or agave. For added creaminess, add Greek yogurt.