Has anything ever looked more eat-able? So smooth and sweet looking — but, will I feel overly-full, over-sugared at the end? Nope. And here’s why: the main ingredient is four very ripe avocados, peeled and pitted. There is NO dairy, unless you choose to top it with homemade whipped cream like I did, and you get a serving a fruit. Win, win, win.
It all starts with delicious semi-sweet chocolate chips just waiting to be melted.
No need for a double boiler. Simply use a saucepan and a glass or metal bowl. Voila! Melt the chocolate until it looks like this: SMOOTH.
Prepare your avocados by slicing, peeling, pitting and spooning out the creamy green fruit.
Your liquid is a yummy blend of agave, coconut milk and vanilla extract.
Dark chocolate or unsweetened cocoa powder provides extra chocolate depth.
Fresh strawberries, sprinkled with cane sugar will make the best topping.
Oh, and homemade whipped cream is sort of necessary.
YUM. YUM. YUM.
- 1/2 cup (I used a littleee more) semi-sweet chocolate chips *I used Ghiradelli
- 4 very ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened or dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup agave (you also could use honey)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened coconut instead)
- Place chocolate chips in either glass or metal bowl to be placed over small saucepan.
- Fill saucepan with water that won’t touch bottom of bowl. Bring water to a simmer.
- Stir chips until melted and smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meantime, peel and pit your avocados, scooping the centers with a spoon.
- In either a Vitamix or food processor, add avocados, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, agave, vanilla, salt and milk.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into glasses and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to one day.
- Garnish with homemade whipped cream and fresh fruit. I picked strawberries!
For Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, or more or less to taste
Toss fresh, sliced strawberries with a bit of sugar and let sit before layering with mousse and whipped cream.